This content is being shared courtesy of Volunteer Mid-South
As we continue navigating the frightening moment in which we have found ourselves, it has been inspiring to see how people in communities all over the world have rallied around one another in unity and support.
Here in the Mid-South it is no different. Local chefs from currently closed restaurants are voluntarily preparing meals to be donated at Caritas. The Mid-South Food Bank is now delivering food to mobile pantry locations.
Here are some ways we can get involved:
Volunteer to Stop the Spread
We always say that volunteers are life savers. Right now, one of the best ways you can save a life is to volunteer to stay home so our healthcare providers and emergency response personnel have time to respond.
We recognize that not everyone is able to stay home, which is why we're urging those who have the option, to stay home and help slow the spread.
Volunteer Odyssey is building a process so you can volunteer from home and will share more information here as we have it.
Volunteer to Stay at Home Campaign by sharing this image on social media & tagging Volunteer Odyssey.
Staying informed and sharing information from reliable sources is one of the best ways we can help our community during a crisis. We encourage following updates and guidelines from the:
Shelby County Health Department
Center For Disease Control
World Health Organization
Remote and virtual volunteering from home has quickly become a large focus of volunteer work. Here are some ways you can volunteer from home:
• Phone Safety Check Volunteers | MIFA matches you with a Meals on Wheels client to do wellness checks by phone. Email Candice firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
• Foster a dog or cat | The Humane Society of Memphis & Shelby County needs volunteers to foster a dog or cat during this time. All supplies provided. Email Ashley Amoore@memphishumane.org
• Transcribe Smithsonian documents | Become a digital volunteer for the Smithsonian. Details here
This list is growing and changing quickly. Please follow on social media for the most updated information about these opportunities.
During this uncertain time, your support is needed now more than ever. Please consider making a gift to Volunteer Odyssey so they can connect volunteers to the places who need them the most.
Stay in Touch on Social
Virtual volunteer opportunities and other time-sensitive information can be found through social media channels. Please follow and share volunteer opportunities with others so we can make the greatest impact.
During this time it's important to find things that spark joy and remind us to be hopeful. Here are some ideas:
• Virtual Museum Tours: Enjoy magnificent pieces of art from home. Click here for a list of museums with virtual exhibits.
• LesMills Workouts: LesMills is offering a variety of free online exercise classes and videos. Click here to find a routine that works for you.
Stay up to date on COVID-19 efforts here